Safety Tips for Working on a Roof Replacement
One of the most dangerous jobs across the construction industry is performing work on rooftops. Falls are the leading cause of death in the construction industry and the OSHA cites that falls from roofs account for 34 percent of all fall deaths. It is important to identify safety hazards when working on rooftops and follow essential safety steps to control these risks. Read on for hazards you should be aware of and how to prevent deadly accidents when working on a roof replacement.
Roof Replacement Safety
- Bracket scaffold. Bracket scaffolds give contractors a stable working platform during a roof replacement. The guardrail system on the scaffold offers fall protection when installing roof trusses.
- Ladders should be used safely and correctly. They should never be placed on an unstable surface or used for anything other than its intended purpose.
- A spreader can be used to brace a truss and distribute the forces across several different trusses. They act as anchors for personal fall arrest systems and should be set up properly.
- Installation of roof sheathing. After a roof is framed, it’s important to continue practicing proper safety during sheathing operations, including the safety net system, bracket scaffolds, and anchors.
- Power tools. Make sure all power tools are used safely and that they are not defective.
- Hazardous substances. Common hazardous substances when working on rooftops include exposure to asbestos, paint fumes, and harmful chemicals. Ensure proper storage and safe handling of hazardous substances.
General Roof Replacement Safety Tips:
- Avoid working on a wet roof
- Always keep your work area clean
- Wear safe and suitable footwear
- Set up your ladder correctly, taking time to ensure it is stable
- Watch out for wires
- Use a safety harness lanyard system, a safety net, and guardrails
These are some of the ways in which to stay safe when working on a roof replacement. Want another way to protect your construction workers? Then make sure you have the proper insurance protection in place. For assistance with all of your business’s coverage needs, contact the experts at Artisan Insurance Solutions. We are ready to get you covered today.
Leave A Comment