With an annual expenditure surpassing $1,293 billion, the U.S. construction industry is among the largest in the world. Moreover, according to the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), the U.S. construction industry employs more than 7 million workers, with at least 400,000 of them being construction managers.
What Is Professional Construction Management?
Professional construction management involves the professional supervision of a construction project from the beginning to the end using specialized project management tools, knowledge, and skills. A professional project manager ensures the smooth running and timely completion of a construction project. Some of the other responsibilities of a professional construction manager include:
- Ensuring that construction work meets the industry standards.
- Keeping the site safe from possible hazards.
- Managing construction finances.
- Ensuring that every party involved in the construction project is satisfied
While a professional construction manager should have a wide range of skills, the ability to analyze and perform calculations is vital, says the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). You do not necessarily need to be a mathematics major to become a construction manager. However, mathematics skills can come in handy in estimating, budgeting, scaling dimensions, accounting, and measuring productivity.
10 Benefits of Professional Construction Management
The use of a professional construction manager in your building project comes with numerous advantages. Here are 10 reasons to consider using professional construction management for your next project.
- Good financial management – With good estimation skills, construction managers know how to allocate the right amounts to important tasks, minimizing wastage and ensuring accountability.
- Centralization of communication – Construction management breaks the barriers between designers, property owners, and contractors. This centralizes communication, saving time and resources.
- Quality outcomes – In construction management, the manager monitors the quality of every task at every stage. This ensures that the final structure meets the industry standards.
- Owner protection – Since the construction manager is fully responsible for the construction project, he/she also deals with any risk and liability that may arise. This protects the owner from possible lawsuits and direct claims in case of accidents or other disasters.
- Timely completion – With a proper allocation of tasks and time management policies, construction managers can utilize their experience to run and complete a project within the stipulated period.
- Minimized risks and hazards – Injuries are rampant in the construction industry due to the heavy machinery, great heights, and risk of falling objects. For instance, in 2019 alone, at least 1,000 construction workers lost their lives on construction sites, as reported by the S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Construction managers ensure the site is run properly to help prevent hazards and accidents.
- Better decision-making – Construction management enables appropriate hiring of qualified workers and firing of underqualified ones. It also helps in general decision-making in every aspect of construction, including financial, legal, and administration.
- Accountability – A project manager oversees every task while accounting for everything that happens in the project.
- Handles the heavy lifting – A construction manager typically communicates with all the other parties involved in a construction project including suppliers, designers, and contractors, reducing the client’s direct involvement in a project.
- Keeps projects running smoothly – With every task in order, construction management ensures that the project runs smoothly with as few disruptions as possible.
These are some of the ways in which you can benefit from professional construction management. To protect your project against the hazards associated with the construction industry, purchase the right construction insurance policies. For easy and convenient construction insurance services, contact the experts at Artisan Insurance Solutions to get the right coverage you need today.